Altaf Hussain  English News  Urdu News  Sindhi News  Photo Gallery
International Media Inquiries
+44 20 3371 1290
+1 909 273 6068
[email protected]
 Events  Blogs  Fikri Nishist  Study Circle  Songs  Videos Gallery
 Manifesto 2013  Philosophy  Poetry  Online Units  Media Corner  RAIDS/ARRESTS
 About MQM  Social Media  Pakistan Maps  Education  Links  Poll
 Web TV  Feedback  KKF  Contact Us        
Media corner ( What's going on in Media about MQM )

Abbas Town tragedy: MQM rescinds call for 'peaceful' strike,The Express Tribune

 Date: 3/6/2013   Views:2189    Source: The Express Tribune
KARACHI: The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) rescinded its previous call for a strike in Karachi against the government’s inefficiency after the Abbas Town blast, Express News reported.
MQM Coordination Committee member Raza Haroon, while addressing a second press conference on Wednesday, said, “Upon hearing appeals made by traders, transporters, business owners, members of school associations and many others, the MQM has taken back its decision to keep businesses closed for an indefinite period of time.”
Haroon reiterated that his party will continue their protest until their demands regarding the arrests of the perpetrators and compensation to the victims of the Abbas Town blast are met.
The MQM member reiterated that despite the cancellation of the strike call, the party had not compromised on its demands.
Afternoon strike call
Raza Haroon had said earlier, “After extensive negotiations and meetings, MQM has decided to observe a peaceful movement against the government’s inefficiency.”
Addressing a press conference in the afternoon, Raza Haroon said that MQM Chief Altaf Hussain had condemned the Abbas Town blast and had demanded the government arrest the terrorists involved within three days, otherwise, the MQM will observe a democratic protest.
“Although government promised immediate action, they did nothing except drama,” he added.
Condemning the government’s incompetence, Haroon said that this protest movement will continue till government arrests the culprits responsible for the attack.
“We appeal to the people of Karachi to stay peaceful and support the peaceful protest,” he said, before adding, “We request the people of Karachi, especially traders, factory owners, shop keepers, transporters and people belonging to other walks of life, to keep their businesses shut until the terrorists are arrested.”
He added that providing compensation to the victims of the attack and their rehabilitation was the responsibility of the government, but so far the government has done nothing except for promises, that were never kept.
Talking about the present situation of Karachi, he said that rumours are being spread in the city to spread panic. “We strongly condemn all such actions to sabotage our peaceful movement,” he said, referring to incidents of violence as the city shut down.
Understanding difficulty of businesses
Haroon said the MQM was cognisant of the pressure faced by the business community, traders and daily wage earners that strikes bring.
“They will face a lot of difficulty in the wake of these strikes; however, this is the only way to make the government realise and to stop the terrorism from spreading.”