Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) MNA Rashid Godil, who survived a life attempt in Karachi last month, talked to media personnel for the first time since his recovery, refuting reports in some sections of local media that he had quit the MQM.
“Some reports making rounds in the media that I have left the MQM are untrue. I have not left the party and will not do so,” said Godil.
The MQM leader said media should show responsibility in reporting news and should differentiate between rumours and facts.
“Any reports on MQM lawmakers should be verified by us,” he said, adding that the high court had banned covering Altaf Hussain, not all MQM leaders.
Godil said doctors had advised him to go abroad for medical treatment but he could not do so because he “did not have the money.”
The MQM leader thanked the entire country for praying for his recovery after the assassination attempt on him, in which his driver was killed.
Godil was critically wounded after unidentified armed men opened fire at his vehicle near his residence in Karachi's Bahadurabad area on Sept 23, following which he underwent emergency surgery at the Liaquat National Hospital.
Hospital sources at the time had said Godil suffered five bullet wounds on his chest, head and arm.
The attack on the MQM leader had come at a time when JUI-F chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman was holding talks with an MQM delegation at Nine Zero, in an attempt to persuade the MQM to return to parliament after MQM legislators had resigned from Senate, National Assembly and the Sindh Assembly.